Reading Notes from "SOA Patterns" by Arnon Rotem-Gal-Oz
- Service - Distinct business function, coarse-grained. Implements all functionality promised by the contracts it exposes. Service autonomy - the service should be mainly self-sufficient.
- Contract - The collection of messages supported by the service is the contract. Unilateral, bilateral. Analogous to interface in OOOD.
- Endpoint - is a URI where the service can be found.
- Message - Unit of communication ( HTTP GET, SOAP, JMS, SMTP)
- Policy - Terms and conditions for making a service available. Policy can be updated at runtime. Specifies dynamic properties (encryption, authentication, authorization, auditing, SLAs).
- Service Consumer - A service is only meaningful if another piece of software uses it. Adhere to a SOA contract themselves.